General Information

San Bernardino County Superior Court provides an interpreter for all courtroom proceedings in all of the following case types:
  • Criminal
  • Juvenile Delinquency
  • Juvenile Dependency
  • Traffic
  • Child Support (AB 1058)
  • Mental Health
  • Domestic Violence Protective Order
  • Elder or Dependent Adult Protective Order
  • Civil Harassment Protective Order
  • Landlord-Tenant
  • Guardianship
  • Conservatorship
  • Family Law

For all other case types, spoken language interpreters are provided based on availability of resources. Please notify the Court of your interpreter needs in advance. Local Rule No. 332 sets forth minimum standards for parties to notify the court of interpreter requests (2 court days for Spanish, 5 court days for all other languages) and cancelations (1 court day for Spanish, 2 court days for all other languages). Best practice is to exceed the minimum standards and notify the court of a request or cancelation as far in advance as possible. Local Rule No. 332 is posted on the court’s website under Local Rules.

Court interpreters do not help parties fill out or file their court forms.

Whenever possible, the Court provides a state certified and state registered interpreter to help limited-English speaking parties in their court proceeding. Because there is a shortage of certified/registered interpreters statewide, the Court may sometimes provide a provisionally qualified interpreter (non-certified, non-registered).

How can I get an interpreter assigned for my court case?

Advance notice is required for all interpreter needs. If an interpreter is not requested in advance, and one is not readily available, the case may be continued by the Court until one can be assigned.

What if I need an interpreter, but the court does not provide one?

Based on available resources, the Court may not be able to provide you with an interpreter if you are involved in a case type other than those listed in “General Information” above. If you need an interpreter to help you understand what is said during one of these court proceedings, you may bring a relative or a friend to interpret for you. You may not bring your child or any minor to interpret for you during a court hearing or a family court services mediation session.

Search for an Interpreter

The Judicial Council Staff maintains a statewide roster of certified and registered interpreters authorized to work in California courts.

What is the Difference Between a Certified and a Registered Interpreter?

Certified Court Interpreters

Currently, court interpreters in ASL and the following spoken languages must be certified: Arabic, Eastern Armenian, Western Armenian, Cantonese, Farsi, Japanese, Khmer (Cambodian), Korean, Mandarin, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese. Only interpreters who pass the Court Interpreter Certification Examination and fulfill the corresponding Judicial Council requirements are referred to as certified interpreters. Certified languages may change periodically, depending on the results of studies of language use in the courts and other administrative factors.

Interpreters of languages not listed above can attempt the several-step processes for becoming a registered California court interpreter in a non-certified language. An interpreter cannot be “registered” or use registered exam scores for interpreting in one of the spoken certified languages.

Registered Court Interpreters

Court interpreters of spoken languages other than Arabic, Eastern Armenian, Western Armenian, Cantonese, Farsi, Japanese, Khmer (Cambodian), Korean, Mandarin, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese are eligible to pursue status a registered court interpreters. Registered court interpreters are required to pass the Written Exam, and the Oral Proficiency Exam in English, and an Oral Proficiency Exam in their non-English language. The Oral Proficiency Exams in English and non- English languages assess the candidate’s functional ability to communicate in that language. All exams for both certified and registered status are administered under contract by an approved testing entity as required under Government Code §68562(b)

What if I need an interpreter that speaks sign language?

The Court will provide you with a sign language interpreter for any court hearing or court business you may have, regardless of litigation type. Please notify the court of your request as far in advance as possible. The Court will also provide you with a sign language interpreter if you are called for jury duty. Please contact Jury Administration, prior to your jury service, if you will need a sign language interpreter. For more information on this and other Access and Accommodation needs please visit the American with Disabilities (ADA) page on this site.

Where can I get more information on becoming an Interpreter?

See the Court Interpreters Program (CIP) and the links on the left.

Language Access Complaint Process

If you have a complaint or feedback about language access services at San Bernardino Superior Court, please follow the Language Access Services Complaints Procedure (see the left side of this page, click on Language Access Services). You may also contact the court’s Language Access Representative directly at 909-708-8816 or