San Bernardino Superior Court Celebrates Juror Appreciation Week May 8-12
The San Bernardino Superior Court will celebrate Juror Appreciation Week to recognize the service and participation of jurors from our community. Recognition for jurors during the second week in May was established by a special resolution passed by the California Legislature in 1998 to acknowledge the important contributions of citizens who devote their time and effort in “making the cherished right of trial by jury a reality.”
Jury Appreciation week is May 8–12. Bookmarks, gavel pencils, and refreshments will be available for all jurors at the San Bernardino Justice Center, Rancho Cucamonga, Victorville and Joshua Tree Jury Assembly rooms.
San Bernardino Superior Court recently improved jury services available through its website and now provides the ability to:
- Defer jury service up to 90 days
- Fill out the Juror Questionnaire
- Elect to receive updates regarding reporting status via phone, text, and/or email (normal text messaging fees apply)
- Check juror status
- Obtain a verification slip for each day of jury service
“Jurors guarantee that everyone has the right to a trial where they can be heard and judged by their peers,” said Nancy Eberhardt, Court Executive Officer. “In recognition of this valuable service, the judicial branch has worked to make jury duty less burdensome with one-day or one-trial service, plain-language jury instructions, and other improvements. We deeply appreciate the sacrifices and contributions jurors make to our justice system.”
Annually, millions of Californians statewide participate in jury service:
▪ Approximately 8 million people are summoned to jury service;
▪ More than 3 million prospective jurors are eligible and available to serve; and
▪ Approximately 80 percent of prospective jurors who report to the courthouse
in person complete service in one day.
Even California Chief Justice Tani G. Cantil-Sakauye was called and reported for jury service on March 23 of last year.
For more information on jury service, contact Jury Administration at 1-866-402-JURY or 909-884-1858, and visit the Jury Service section of the California Courts website.